Thursday, May 30, 2013

Failure to Launch



Teddy Roosevelt "The Man in the Arena" Paris 1910


Oh, to be this person who is marred by dust, sweat, and blood and still forges ahead.  I write this as I think about all of the things I want (or think I want) to be doing different and new.  I can not quiet the voices in my head that drown out my dreams and ideas.  My quick, short bursts of confidence melt into a paralyzed fear.  It is an odd place to be in, and keeps me in limbo.  I have yet to commit to one idea or dream and go with it. 

Fear of failure.  This blog post speaks directly to the subject.  I urge you to read it.  One of the blog author's statements that have stuck with me is this:  “I’ve come to learn is this:  the seeming failures over time, seem to bring more fruit than the successes”.  He, Morgan Snyder, goes on to say,  “and each time failure comes, it’s not that the failures hurt less.  It’s that they hurt better.” 

We succeed and fail in life, all the while esteeming success over failure.  “The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.  Both are essential.”  Morgan says then goes on to ask, “(am I) choosing to live in a way that requires God to show up?” Good question! Am I timidly making safe choices every day and/or shying away from challenges all together?  What choices could I be forging ahead with that would require my God to show up in my weakness? 

Baby steps.  I say all this to encourage those that want to do more, but either don’t know where to start or are afraid to take the next step.  Let’s not live a life without risks. I’ll close with this last question posed by Morgan:

"Are you risking enough to be acquiring a healthy mosaic of failures?"



 

No comments:

Post a Comment