Saturday, May 4, 2013

Dreaming for a Future

My husband and oldest son, Trevor, set out on a 14 day journey yesterday.  They are headed to Townsville, Australia to help YWAM* with a much needed renovation project. Originally, Doug and I considered taking this trip together.  The logistics of family life did not make it easy for both parents to be gone for so long, so Doug suggested that Trevor join him.  

A little bit about Trevor.  He is 17, and a junior in high school.  He is part of a "school-to-work" program this trimester, and has always enjoyed working with his dad on construction type projects.  Not only does he like it, but he is wired for it.  

During the planning of this trip it began to take on a whole new meaning to me.  As parents we wonder from early on what our kids will grow up to be.  When they enter high school we begin to help them look to their future selves and start dreaming about their careers and life after they graduate high school.  Trevor has decided that he wants to work for the family business when he graduates.  No aspirations of college life, and I'm ok with that...for now. I didn't venture out on my own or go to college when I graduated.  I want my kids to have the experiences.  As I started reading about YWAM and all that they do it hit me.  WHAT IF? What if this trip is a stepping stone for Trevor?  I started praying that God would open Trevor's eyes and heart to this possibility.  I also talked to Trevor about this, and encouraged him to think about it while he was over there.  I'm pretty excited.  I don't know if he will choose this path, but I'm praying about it.  I don't believe it is by coincidence that his education and ability to go on this trip right now has all come together at this time.  God has a purpose for our lives. 

Maybe, just maybe this is a glimpse of his future.  If I'm wrong that's ok.  It's still a trip of a lifetime! Nothing wrong with praying and dreaming for our his future with a BIG God at the helm!


*Youth with a Mission (YWAM) is a worldwide Christian movement operating in more than 1,000 locations in over 180 countries, with over 25,000 full time staff since 1960. YWAM is a Christian charity that offers global opportunities for volunteers from diverse backgrounds to serve, care, build and connect with individuals and communities. YWAM is decentralised in structure and financially autonomous. This allows each centre to adapt and to serve the specific needs of the community.
YWAM values individuals’ rights to quality of life. The shared motivation is to provide people with:
  • Access to good health care
  • Food, drinking water and shelter
  • Opportunity for education
  • Expression of culture, arts and entertainment
  • Healthy relationships
  • Exposure to Christian faith and values
  • Fair and productive government
  • Opportunity to work and develop

http://www.ywamtownsville.org/building-blitz/?utm_term=DIRECT

1 comment: