Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Practicing Thankfulness

My hubs and I are entering into a battle.  A battle which will involve lawyers.  A battle that will cost us money we don't have.  A battle, I fear, is one of those situations where "the-one-with-the-deeper-pockets" will win.  A battle I look at and wonder what was the point of spending time, energy and resources on this project?  And, if I'm being honest, a battle I want to say, "Really God"? 

Now, I know all of the Christian lingo and the right things I am supposed to say in this type of situation.  But, come on, haven't you looked at a trial in your life and wonder "Why me"? (This is where we are supposed to say, "Why not me?" right?).  I do not want this.  I do not want to watch my husband carry the weight of this. So, what am I to do?  Well, God shows up every time and reminds me.  This morning as I opened my Jesus Calling devotions this is what I read:


1 Thessalonians 5:16-18-Rejoice always, pray continually, give THANKS in ALL circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 

And then this scripture came to mind:

James 1:2-4-Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides.  You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors.  So don't try to get out of anything prematurely.  Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.

So, as He has once again gently shifted my worrisome, and whinny, heart towards Him I AM thankful.   I am checking my "substructure of trust".  I will have a thankful heart not only for the blessings in my life, but the situations He allows to strengthen my faith and reliance on Him.  It honestly feels better to live in thankfulness rather than worry.  Try it.  It isn't always easy, but it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment