Saturday, July 13, 2013

It Takes Effort

I have a question for you.  Do your relationships need work?  I mean, can you ignore the relationship, think about it only when things start going awry, or put effort into it only when you feel like it?  I've never heard anyone say, "Gosh, you don't have to work on your marriage.  You guys have it all together!" RIDICULOUS RIGHT? 

So, please tell me why I hear people saying things like, "You don't need to work out or watch what you eat. You are in such good shape"! Is it sort of a compliment they are trying to give? If you have worked diligently, and had to overcome obstacles to get where you are, wouldn't you be a bit discouraged if someone made light of it by saying you DON'T need to work at it?  Most of us are not blessed with the "skinny" gene where we can eat what we want, not workout, and not gain a pound.  Most of us have to be mindful every single day of our health.  We plan and schedule our workouts.  We plan and prepare meals and snacks in advance.  It takes work.  Just like the best relationships take time, energy, and conscience awareness all of the time, so does our health!


Photo courtesy of Cross Training Couture

I hope what I'm saying reminds us all to look deeper into someone's life when the surface appears to be perfect. I would rather be noticed for overcoming obstacles, than appearing to have it all together. Do you feel inspired by someone who overcomes their obstacles, or someone who appears to be perfect?  If you are ever tempted to say such a thing stop yourself.  Instead let them know they are a great motivator to you to be healthy.

It brings me great joy to inspire others, lead by example, and cheer others on.  I will be real with my ups and downs.  Making an effort in fitness and health is a daily choice , and it doesn't always come easily.  There are days when time is not on my side, or I really don't want to make the effort.  I would rather people be encouraged by my struggles and victories, than appear to have it all together.   In doing so, I hope to build others up and encourage them to move every day, eat right, and in turn be an example to others.  What an amazing chain reaction that would be!


No comments:

Post a Comment